Starting June 3, 2019, we will accept drop-off tax returns on Mondays ONLY, from 10 AM - 3 PM. We will continue accepting drop-offs through November 11, 2019.
If you need tax help, please drop by our office during these hours for a brief consultation. You will complete an intake and drop off documents for preparation.
When our tax team has completed your return(s), they'll contact you to schedule an appointment. At that time we'll review the information for accuracy and file the documents.
Bring these documents to your appointment
What You Need to Participate
- Must have earned less than $54,000 for 2018 tax year
- Proof of Identity such as NC State issued ID, Driver’s License, or School ID; or Passport
- Social Security Card or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) letter for all persons listed on your return
- W-2, 1098, and 1099 forms
- 1095A, 1095B, or 1095C Medical Insurance forms
- Amounts of any other income
- Child Care provider’s name, identification number, and amounts paid for these expenses
- Amounts/dates of any estimated or other tax payments made
- Bank documents showing routing and account numbers if requesting direct deposit of funds
- Copy of your 2017 federal and state tax returns
(Volunteer Income Taxpayer Assistance)
The VITA Program offers free tax help to low- to moderate-income (generally, $54,000 and below) people who cannot prepare their own tax returns. Certified volunteers sponsored by various organizations receive training to help prepare basic tax returns in communities across the country.
VITA sites are generally located at community and neighborhood centers, libraries, schools, shopping malls, and other convenient locations. Most locations also offer free electronic filing.
Sponsored by the IRS
How VITA Sites Can Help
- FREE Service – No costly preparation fees or hidden costs
- IRS Certified tax assistants available to help you complete your returns
- Several Locations in Durham with varied schedules for your convenience
- EFile of your tax return upon completion if no precluding paperwork
- Receive your refund in 10-14 days with direct deposit to your account
- Avoid Refund Anticipation Loans robbing $100s from your refund
- Ensure you take advantage of available EITC Credits if qualified
North Carolina Volunteer Taxpayer Assistance (VITA) Sites
Watch Our Video
The NC-TAC is a coalition effort between Reinvestment Partners, Duke Law School, NCCU School of Law, and numerous other Community Organizations, City, County and State Agencies dedicated to assisting NC taxpayers in utilizing available tax services in and around Durham.